Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Marathon PB - everything personal about it

Personal best – every thing personal about it…

It has been a week  since I ran my first half marathon, actually jogged, limped and lumbered to the finish would be more apt. The memories of the race are still fresh, but the pains dulled and now confined to the inner recesses of the muscle memory.

The desire to run, complete a marathon had been alive and kicking in me for a very long time. At various points in time, I would visualise myself scorching the  track, breasting the tape, beat the demons of fatigue and fear of failure in my mind.

But, the trigger that could convert my thoughts into running went missing for quite a long time.


Had the Social media not existed, the trigger would possibly never have been initiated. As I saw photographs of seemingly ordinary guys (and girls) making a mockery of distances, I realised that if I tried hard enough I could make the run!

I prepared the way an amateur can and does. I just kept increasing the quantum of running I did. From an on the trot two and a half KM, I managed to move non stop to 10 KM. Then, I knew I could give the half marathon a shot.

Then I ran my first half marathon and, guess what? Posted it on Facebook.

The responses started pouring in. Friends who had never run were awestruck. They said they were inspired. Friends who did some kind of jogging started complimenting me.  But, there were some inquisitive  messages too…  from friends who had done it before…

Sample these..

I did it in 2 hour 40 minutes, bettered my time by 10 minutes, how much was your time?

Hey, how was your run? I completed in 2 hours 21 minutes. What was your time?

Hi, I had a good run. Due to a cramp, I ran rather slowly to complete in 2 .15. How was yours?

My stock answer- I am happy I completed. Then, there would be commiseration. Then, the response-

 Not bad, it is important you complete the run.

Yeah, for a first timer, that is not bad.

I could hear a hint of sarcasm, a smirk in their responses.

It was as if they were mocking me, saying, you have failed a big test!

The more I heard, the more I understood. In a seemingly flat world, where the scope to differentiate yourself versus the other is increasingly becoming narrow, a new elite has been created. It is the league of marathoners.

Move over the BMWs, Rolex Watches, the chateaus, it is your personal best in a marathon that determines your stud appeal.

Unlike the other macho symbol, here it is not how long you last but how fast you finish.

As for me, I am reminded of a joke.

Our friend Santa was asked by a Britisher, how do you do? To which Santa replied, sorry, it is too personal.

Same with me. 

Till I figure out how to run faster, my personal best would remain the same, too personal.